Saturday, August 20, 2016

Activism means growing, sharing food

Photo by Chris Coxwell
Encouraging people to grow their own food, turning food waste into compost, and getting surplus food to people in need is the sort of activism I've practices over the past few years. I'm also a bicycling advocate. I've occasionally joined marches and participated in rallies, but that doesn't compare to directly putting tools into people's hands, then watching the change.


Raising chickens and growing veggies is rewarding is so many ways. Nurturing plants from seed to harvest fills me with such a sense of accomplishment. It's hard work and so much can go wrong. When it goes right, few things are sweeter than enjoying a harvest and sharing with others.


That feeling is magnified 10 fold when I share that knowledge.


Composting is one of my favorite activities. Taking what many regard as garbage and turning it into plant food fascinates me. Over the years, I've helped divert tons of organic waste from the landfill while volunteering for Compost Coalition Austin. A promo I recorded for Compost Pedallers perfectly describes how I feel while composting.





I'm a founding member and former operations director of Keep Austin Fed, a food rescue nonprofit that encourages restaurants to donate surplus food and provides trained volunteers to transport it to organizations that help people in need. It not only kept perfectly edible food out of the landfill, but provided much needed nutrition for some of Austin's most vulnerable people.




While I'm generally not a front-line kind of activist, I definitely enjoy being part of the support staff that keeps things going. That includes anything from supply logistics to kitchen prep and cleanup. That also includes my professional skills: online content management, writing, graphics production, training, and social media engagement.


Even though protesting isn't my favorite thing in the world, here are some of the most memorable actions I participated in:


I spoke about the soil crisis and how curbside compost service can help solve this emergency at the Texas Campaign for the Environment's press conference on Aug. 19, 2016 at Austin City Hall.



In late 2013, I helped persuade Austin city council members to approve the construction of a pedestrian bridge over Little Walnut Creek against fierce opposition from neighbors fearful of crime and transients. Construction was completed in 2014, which opened the way for school children to walk or bike to Hart Elementary School.



In 2014, I led a campaign to add road symbols that encourage motorists to share the road with bicyclists, commonly called "sharrows. The effort was so successful, city crews added sharrows along the entire length of Rundberg, from Cameron Road to Metric Boulevard.




The Hunger Warrior Rally in May 2013 preceded the passing of Senate Bill 376, the “Breakfast Bill,” a proposal for the Texas Hunger Initiative and the Texas Department of Agriculture to work together on a five-year plan to increase participation in summer food programs. Teacher Rachael Brunson (front row, far right) of Elsa England Elementary in Round Rock, Texas was a key organizer for the rally.


I joined the April 17, 2012 edition of the Political Pedal, a bike ride from Austin's city hall to a nearby restaurant that encourages people campaigning to be on city council to consider issues important to cyclists. Read "Cyclists to city leaders: We need more city leaders on bikes" Photo by Charlie L. Harper III


Denie's dad, Candelario, and I walked with Verizon workers in Washington DC on Nov.8, 2011. The action was organized with the help of the local Communications Workers of America union. For as long as I've worked for the Great State of Texas, I've been a member of Texas State Employees Union (CWA Local 6186).

No comments:

Post a Comment