Wednesday, January 25, 2017

'Flaustin Paradise' Zine Combines Travel, Punk Music

As we get closer to selling our North Austin house so we can buy an RV and travel full time, I've been talking to people I know about their travels, like my neighbors Julie Aguilar and Alex Guzman. She dreams of traveling in an RV. He often tours the country with punk bands Nosferatu, Witewash, Fade, and Dequantize. Together, they run a fanzine called Flaustin Paradise. I caught up with Alex to get his take on the zine.
On New Year's Eve, Denise and I visited Alex and Julie before heading out to a costume ball. We've been next door neighbors for 7 years and we'll miss them once we're on the road. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to catch them on tour. 


1. How would you describe Flaustin Paradise?

Flaustin Paradise is a punk fanzine that we started in April 2016. Issue NO.1 covered the first "This Is Austin Not That Great Fest" that happened in Austin,TX in January 2016. I wanted to start my own zine label to showcase the local Austin, TX punk scene. From there it has really grown into a bigger venture because now I am trying to start my own DIY tape label under the same name "Flaustin Paradise". In the zine I have tried to branch out as far as I can so when I go on tours
with my bands I will try and take as many pictures of bands we play with on the road and occasionally get interviews with people from around the US to gain a bigger perspective on what the punk scene is like for everyone else out there. In the next coming issues I hope to start reviewing music/zines/videos/comics and other platforms of art that live in the punk community. It has become a hobby of mine that consumes every aspect of the punk scene for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

2. How did you come up with the name?
Simple answer, and only a few people have asked me that question. The Fifth Element has been one of my and Julie's favorite movie for a long time, and Flohston Paradise is one of the destinations of the protagonist Corbon Dallas in the movie. Of course I changed the spelling to "Flaustin Paradise" because of where we're from.


3. Describe how you put together the zine.
I have been a fan of zines for many years and my friend Victor has made several in the past and I was always in awe of how he got it done. He helped me print my first and second issue and I have always been grateful for the time and help he has given me. Most people use a "cut and paste" method and scan it directly onto a photo copier, but I have always used the Pages software to map out where all of my images and text go into the layout of the zine. It took me a while to figure it out but now I have a template that allows me to look back on what I have done in the past and improve on it every time I take on another project.

4. Why do you use disposable cameras?
I have always enjoyed the aesthetic that disposable cameras give you in the final product. I have a nice Nikon D40 that I have taken to a few shows so I can shoot photos but it always ends up being too bulky for me to try and take pictures while enjoying the music and slamming when I get into it. I find it easier and less stressful if I can go into it with the mindset of "Okay, if I snap 3 pictures of a band and one of those turns out good I'm happy with that." I never want to just sit there and focus on taking pictures if I'm not having any fun doing it, because then it just seems like a job. I would rather get the pictures quick without interfering with any of the band members and enjoy the rest of the set.

5. What would you like the readers to know about playing in a band and touring?
I have been playing in bands since I was 15 years old and I have always loved playing live shows. The energy of the room is always what sets me off while playing, and the energy of the band is what sets me off while being an audience member. By now I couldn't imagine not spending time doing something pertaining to music and that is why I try and keep as many projects on my plate. Even if it seems overwhelming at times, I know that I did this to myself for a reason, because it is simply just something I have to do no matter what. Touring has always been an amazing experience for me because I have a really great set of friends and band mates, shoutout to Anarchy Team 6! If you love playing music then the best way to keep it going is to get out there and show others what you are doing, and participate in what others are doing as well. Support each other and the DIY scene will grow right before your eyes. Never stop doing it if it makes you happy.


6. What's upcoming for Flaustin Paradise?
Flaustin Paradise No.4 (Zine) is in the works and will include a "A letter from Dorset Drive" by Joseph de Leon, an interview with the people who brought us False From (Austin punk tape label) lots of photos from punk scenes around the US and Texas, and so much more. I will be starting my tape label in the early months of 2017 and it will feature bands from the Austin, TX underground punk scene.

7. How can people support your zine?
I usually just sell stuff hand to hand at shows that I attend, but if anybody would like to contact us about zines, bootleg punk buttons, upcoming releases, or info on the current Austin, TX punk scene you can contact us at flaustinparadise@gmail.com or check out Flaustin Paradise on Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. I was a punk rocker here circa 1979-thru-the-80s. It was fabulous. Hey stranger, we must get together soon. Im gonna call you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, yes! Do you have any photos to share? Give me a call, would love to see you. I'm pretty much always hungry or thirsty :)

      Delete