Saturday, March 4, 2017

Dreams of Singing on the Road

I woke up smiling and said to Denise "You're funny."

That's how my dream last night ended. We were living on the road and a "producer" had convinced me I was the next big thing in voice talent. Some dreams are inexplicably scary, others make no sense at all. This one felt light and silly. I even woke up in a good mood despite the fact I had been taken for ride.




While living full time in an RV, I took voice lessons just for fun. One night, while singing around the camp fire, a man approached, saying he was drawn by my voice. I paid him to make a voice demo, then he went off to promote my stunning voice.

Denise wasn't convinced, but I insisted I had talent.

"Joseph! Listen to your voice," she cried out. She was right. I sound horrible, even by drunken karaoke standards.

I soon realized I had been taken for a ride, but by this time, family had caught wind of my good fortune and we were now visiting Texas for the holidays. At a family gathering, Denise's dad kept following us around to ask about the details of my new-found fame.

"So, how much money are we talking here?" he kept asking of my sign-on bonus, completely upbeat and believing. Denise and I kept going from room to room, pretending to find what we needed to prepare for the family gathering.

I finally relented and told him it was a 20 percent deal -- I'd make 20 percent of record sales.

"So you didn't get an advance?" he asked.

No, I paid to record the album. I finally had to tell him I was taken by a scam. Which is kinda funny, considering I used to write a column called Scam Alert at The Frederick News-Post.

I have my interpretation of what my subconscious was telling me. What do you think this dream means?

No comments:

Post a Comment