Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Changes on The Road

My summer job in Yellowstone is over, our next leg of travel has begun. We'll spend some time in Idaho, then head to Washington state for a few weeks, before heading south to eventually spend some time in Texas. As the miles tick by, I can't help but dwell on everything that will change now that we've left our home of 15 weeks behind.




Quality Time -- Denise and I spent a lot of time together, but mostly on my weekends, during my split-shift break, and after work. Now we'll get to spend a lot more time together. It was an adjustment on our way from Texas to Yellowstone, but we got the hang it. I probably won't work again until sometime in 2018, unless we find a place along the way we want to stay for a few months. That is one thing that I haven't gotten used to yet -- how fluid this new chapter of our life is and how many possibilities there are for our future.

Routine -- My body grew accustomed to the Yellowstone work schedule. Up by 6:30 a.m., breakfast by 7:30 a.m., work by 8:30, a 3-hour break at 1 p.m., work again from 3:30 until 7 p.m. Even on my days off, my body and mind were in that rhythm. Not sure how long that will last, but it'll be interesting to see what routine develops over thecoming weeks...

Friends -- Every day for the past months, I'd see the same happy faces. In a short time, we made deep connections. We bonded over hard work, glowing bonfires, and a love of the outdoors. Now I'm not sure when or if I'll see most of my new friends. It's a little frustrating, but I'm grateful for social media. We're already planning to meet up with a few new dear friends in Texas, Arizona, and Mexico.

Food -- While living in Yellowstone, I worked in the Employee Dining Room (EDR) and enjoyed 3 meals every day, plus all the snacks and "taste tests" I wanted. I helped run a commercial kitchen with automatic dishwasher, walk-in coolers, and a fully-stocked pantry. Now, I'll have to rely on our food stores in a tiny RV kitchenette. Denise rarely eats 3 meals a day, so it'll be a challenge for me to adjust to my new feeding schedule.

Environment -- Yellowstone grew to be a part of us, spending most of our free time among beautiful lodgepole pines. We thought leaving the city would be difficult, but soon realized it was the other way around. As the days slipped away, we began to dread going back to "civilization." Leaving Yellowstone on Labor Day wasn't pleasant -- long lines of cars and fast drivers made us wish the work season never ended. We joined our friend Beth in Lava Hot Springs for dinner and a dip in the relaxing hot water. It's funny how a small town of about 400 people made us feel like we were back in the city again.

Our journey is bittersweet. We're away from family and long-time friends. Wondrous sights our constant companion. New friends' laughter soon becomes a cherished memory. New beginnings await.

This is the beauty of travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment