Friday, December 23, 2016

What If I Hate RVing?

"Aren't you scared?" "You're selling your house to live in an RV?" "What if you hate it?"






Just a few of the questions we have gotten since making this decision

Those who know me? I don't think this is such a big surprise to them. This has been the longest I've lived in one place. I think the hardest part for most people is wrapping their head around the thought that we are walking away from "stability."

The stability of a house. The convenience of a job. The security of possessions. Our house has served its purpose. Now we're ready to pass it on. Selling releases us in more ways than one. It will allow us to be financially able to start this next chapter and it will free us of the responsibility of maintaining a house that, truth be told, has become more of a burden.

North Austin has been home for seven years. Joseph and I kept our house and yard as sustainably and green as we could. We grew multiple gardens every year, raised chickens, composted food waste and even dog poop. I'm proud of our time here and what we have learned by trial and error. But there is a lot about owning a house that doesn't make sense for us anymore. We only live in a fraction of our house. Maintaining a lawn is not something I care to participate in anymore. I do not have it in me to do another seven years of mowing what I feel is ridiculous.

We also pour money into utilities, property taxes, and a mortgage. I hate seeing Joseph go to an unsatisfying job day in and day out just to pay the bills. Why do we do this to ourselves? This is not what life's about. To make up for it, Joseph has run a food rescue nonprofit and a community garden, among other things, in his spare time. Why not do this full time instead?

Other than a few camping trips, Joseph and I have not spent time away from the grind together. I have traveled on my own for the last seven years pursuing the things I love (activism) very part time due to money and responsibilities at home. I've been fortunate enough to be invited to several Greenpeace trainings and have been able to spend time in activist communities but not like I would really like.

We'd like to do more of those things that fulfill us together.


As the house gets more and more empty, I sometimes catch myself second guessing our decision. Traveling full time in an RV may not work for us. I could hate it, for all I know, or it might be too expensive. But I'm willing to take the chance. I have to take the chance. If you have ever allowed yourself to follow a dream you know it is just something you have to do.


I also know myself well enough to know that I'm going to do what I'm going to do if it is something I feel strongly about. And I do feel strongly about letting go of stuff, exploring new places, and helping people.

To those who just can't seem to understand our decision, I really hope in time you will see the joy travel and activism brings us. I can't understand the decision some people make to stay trapped in the ritual of everyday life.They can't see past the routine. If that is what works for you great but it's not for everyone. It's not for me. Never has been and I'm pretty certain at 49 years old I can say it probably won't ever.

I do not like living with "what if's." I could settle deeper into this couch and be comfortable basically for the rest of my life. I was not put here for that. And I know the longer I sit here, the heavier the weight of "what if" grows.


NO THANKS!

I happen to have an amazing gut instinct as well as a keen sense of direction. Both are telling me it's time. Call me a quitter, call me irresponsible -- hell, call me whatever you want... as you look at my latest travel pics.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You know I feel the same way. It may be scary to let go of "stability" but not as scary as letting your dreams pass you by! Can't wait to see what life has in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kristina. Im so glad we have the courage to follow our dreams. I hope you and Leslie are back together soon. I miss you but am very happy for you. Love ya girl.

    ReplyDelete