Monday, December 12, 2016

Working in Yellowstone Summer 2017

Jan 4, 2017 update -- I've shortened my work assignment at Yellowstone to end in early September so we can have enough time for leg 2 of our trip. More details to come.

It's official -- I'll be working at Yellowstone National Park in summer 2017! It'll be my first workamping experience. We'll live in the nation's oldest national park from late May through mid September while working for Delaware North, a company that operates general stores and hotels in and around the park.
One of Yellowstone's gems is the Grand Prismatic Spring, the largest hot spring in the United States. Photo courtesy National Geographic.

I attended a webinar in October to learn about Delaware North and its workamping program, a popular way to experience a natural area in exchange for providing a service. The data entry job I applied was already filled by the time I was interviewed last week. They give preference to returning workcampers, so maybe next year.

Delaware North did offer me a choice of 3 jobs: ice cream scooper, grill cook, (two of the busiest jobs serving the public), or kitchen assistant, a prep cook position in the employee dining hall. I chose to serve workers. I'll help make and package meals for the dozens of workers who serve hungry visitors and sell them souvenirs or camping supplies.

Employees must commit to at least a 3-month work assignment and can stay as long as 7 months. We picked 4 -- seems like enough time to enjoy Yellowstone without burning out on being a prep cook again after about 25 years.

We'll be offered an employee-only RV site away from the public, a meal plan, free employees-only activities, and free entrance the surrounding national forests. In exchange, I'll work 40 hours a week for $8.35 an hour and receive a $3-a-day bonus if I complete the entire assignment. There's quite a few other amenities, like a free shuttle to a nearby town twice a week and discounts on local boating outfitters, zip lines, and horse tours.

I've never been to a national park, so having the opportunity to live in Yellowstone is going to be a great introduction to living full time in an RV.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going through the onboarding process now, which includes a background check and a drug screening once we get closer to the start date. So far, everything has been organized and pleasant. I was surprised not to see a social media policy in the employee handbook. I plan to be discreet and respectful in my posting, as I would be about any workplace. Best wishes for finding a workamping assignment if and when you choose to do so.

    ReplyDelete